Saltford Environment Group
The History of Saltford: ONLINE MUSEUM
20th Century (page 3)
The People of Saltford
On this page we have photographs and images of the people of Saltford during the 20th Century (see next page for WW1 and WW2).
Scroll down the page to see:-
20th Century Saltford page 3
1900s - 1920s
Top row: [?], W J Curtis, [?], Arthur Consbury, Alfred Barnett, Brown, [?], Percy Lavington, Frank Lavington.
Colonel Vilett Rolleston
1920s Christmas Card
This features a reproduction of the original watercolour by Elizabeth (Daisy) Davies, sister of the last manager of Keynsham Brass Mills. c.1920s.
Hornby's Farm workers, Saltford, July 1931
Saltford School Pupils 1932
The names of the 66 pupils pictured with Miss Hockey are:
1st (front) row (L to R): Bert Brimble, David Roch, David Gane, Eric Copp, Gordon Gane, Daphne Gane, Peggy Shellard, unknown, Grace Smith, Michael Hanham, unknown, Frank Curtis, Fred Willis.
2nd row (L to R): Hazel Witchell, Georgina Read, Edna Shellard, unknown, Kathleen Stiles, Marie Pope, Greta Dowling, Arthur Smith, Peter Pope, John Shellard, Nancy Lavington, Betty Smith, Jocelyn Tibbs.
3rd row (L to R): John Roch, Roy Miles, Olive Minty, Kitty Weymouth, (Miss Hockey), Olive Tanner, Elaine Lavington, Maurice Willis, Lorne Witchell.
4th row (L to R): Teddy Tibbs, Ronald Derrick, John Durston, Gordon Nottly, Arthur Southwood, Vic Wilson, (?) Hamilton, Cecil Hall, Vic May, Stan King, Ernest Smith, Douglas Copp.
5th row (L to R): Christine Williams, Kathleen Durston, unknown, Edie Bourne, Margaret Minty, Betty May, (?) Read, Thelma Cook, Nora Read, Elsie Reed, Peggy Wilson.
6th (back) row (L to R): Irene Reed, Queenie Bourne, Kathleen Brown, Gwen Minty, Joyce Minty, Ethel Cook, Ida Reed, Delphine Tibbs.
Some of Saltford Golf Club's characters from the Bristol Evening Post. Image courtesy of Saltford Golf Club.
This photograph appeared in the 11th March 1995 edition of the Bath Chronicle as part of a "Down Memory Lane" series of old photographs. It had been supplied by Ernest Williams from Bath who ran the grocery store "Batstone & Williams" in the High Street at No. 14* (now a private dwelling) with Mr Batstone from 1939 to 1944. The masking of the telephone number on the hanging shop sign was a wartime security measure.
When Colonel Rolleston lived at Saltford House from 1898 to 1921 he purchased his tobacco which he shared with local men and sweets for local children at this store when it was ran by Jimmy Williams (possibly a relative of Ernest Williams) - see above.
*The three cottages of which No. 14 was the middle cottage, are thought to have been built in the early 19th Century and were at one time named "Walnut Cottages"; the store was No. 2 Walnut Cottages and Mr Arthur Batstone was listed as living there in the Post Office Bath Directory for Saltford of 1937 whilst Mr J (Jimmy) Williams is listed in the 1896 Directory (these can be seen in our Document Library).
The members of Saltford Scouts pictured here are:
Childhood sweethearts from Saltford Ivor Stabbins (19) and Margaret Waller (17) are pictured here in 1945, the year Ivor's service with Keynsham Homeguard finished with the end of WW2 when he then went into National Service joining the RAF. They married in 1950 and lived their 60+ years of married life here in Saltford.
You can download Ivor's personal account of Saltford life and in particular the local Home Guard that he joined (under age at only 15) in 1941 here (pdf opens in new window):-
1953: Street parties for Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation
Beech Road and Chestnut Walk
LH picture: Gentleman wearing chain of office is George Ashton, Chairman of Keynsham Rural District Council.
1950s 'Saltford Evergreen Club'. The lady standing with the clipboard is Mrs Dorothy Hitching, W.I. Chairperson. Dorothy lived at 7 Beech Road.
Front row (kneeling): Alison Willis, Unknown, Jennifer Hutchings, Alison Jayne, Angela Woodberry, Diane Wingfield, Marie Miles, Unknown, Unknown, Ann Purcell, Jula Benjamin.
Saltford School: 1960s
Here we have photographs taken in the early 1960s (c.1961/62) of the exterior and interior of Saltford School in Queen Square. You can click on each image to see a larger version.
Summer lifestyle in sixties Saltford (1964)
1963 - 1984: The rise and fall of Vermipeat in Mead Lane, Saltford
In 1963 Hugh Folliott of The Lons, Bitton, purchased the old mill building next to the Jolly Sailor Public House in Mead Lane to set up a horticultural business to manufacture and market his invention, the all-purpose compost Vermipeat, and other related products, including Vermipeat Readi-pots. After Hugh Folliott died in 1969 the business was run by his son Tony Folliott.
Tony was joined from 1972 by Hugh's son-in-law and daughter, John and Julia Scott, who had moved to Saltford to work in the family business. The workforce at that time numbered 20 but despite healthy order books the business struggled financially mainly due to high the cost of Vermiculite, a major constituent of Vermipeat, and other factors. John became the sole Director in 1974 when Tony moved to Australia.
Vermipeat was a mixture of sphagnum moss peat, exfoliated Vermiculite (Vermiculite heated in a furnace to 2,000o F causing it to expand like puffed wheat) and English China Clay in powdered form. It proved popular amongst professional growers and was marketed at many trade shows around the country including the Chelsea Flower Show. Customers included Highgrove (King Charles III's residence in Gloucestershire) and Badminton House.
In January 1982 the weight of a heavy snowfall brought down the roof of the ramshackle old mill. That, competition from similar products to the Readi-pots, and financial difficulties for the business led to the eventual closure of the Saltford factory in 1984 when the company was bought out by Silvaperl. The factory building in Mead Lane was sold to Saltford Pottery who subsequently renovated the whole site and converted the factory to Industrial Units for rent. For just over 20 years the factory in Mead Lane had produced a high grade horticultural product, probably the first soil-less compost incorporating Vermiculite produced in Britain, and employed many local people.
Footnote: John and Julia Scott joined Silvaperl, John having the role of Market Development Director, in 1984 following the purchase of Vermipeat Ltd by Silverperl. They subsequently left Silvaperl in 1987 to avoid a move to Lincoln where a new factory had been built. John and Julia then set up a home-based wholesaling horticulture business in 1988, purchased sole rights for the Vermipeat compost and the Silvaperl mail order business and diversified into other allied products.
They sold the Vermipeat Trade Mark in 1993 and continued to run the business until 2005. While living in Saltford John was heavily involved in community activities, including as a District Councillor for 6 years, Chairman of Saltford Community Association for 3 years, and was Chairman of the first Saltford Parish Council in the modern era for 8 years from 1991 (there is a photograph of John in the 1990s section). He passed away in 2009 aged 83.
1991: Saltford Parish Council
The first Saltford Parish Council election in the modern era was conducted under the auspices of Wansdyke District Council and held on Thursday 2nd May 1991. On 15th May 1991 at the first council meeting Cllr John Scott was elected Chair and Cllr Duncan Hounsell was elected Vice-Chair.
Back row, standing (L to R): Cllr Frank Vine, Cllr Maurice Short, Cllr John Dunford, Cllr Francine Haeberling, Cllr Patricia Vine, Cllr Mark Davies, Cllr Sheila Bateman.
Results of the 2 May 1991 election:
© Saltford Environment Group